Sunday, December 14, 2008

Topo do Mundo and Ouro Preto

Last weekend, with a few friends I made at the gym, I went to two places:
Topo do Mundo is a little hill just outside the city that is used a jumping off point for paragliders. This is something that I may be interested in, but it will be a long while before my Português is good enough to think about getting a license to do this (my friend suggested I do it in tandem with someone, but this is very unappealing to me). It was cool to hang out and watch these dudes take flight.


Ouro Preto is an old colonial town an hour outside of BH. There isn't too much to say about the place. There are a ton of churches there and we did take a tour of one of the churches built by the colonizing Portuguese: it is a huge power symbol, ridiculously elaborate -art, gold, and the like.

My friends and I in the town:


This is my last week at work. I have 4 weeks off to do...something. I just bought a plane ticket to the middle of the amazon, but beyond that I'm gonna pretty-well wing this one. The plan right now, in it's entirety, is so: hang in the amazon for a few days; take a boat down the amazon river to the coast; make my way down the coast; see how far I get (Brasil is freakn huge!); try not to get robbed, killed, or eaten by an anaconda. Looking forward to an adventure!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...am sure your travel during your 4 wk break will be ladden with "Leon moments" and u will live to tell the tales(s)in your new destination.

Have an adventurous & safe break. Here's wishing u " Selamat Tahun Baru, Leon!

Cheers

Unknown said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR! Wherever you are in the world right now :P Sorry my wishes are late, it's been a crazy few weeks. Hope you are well and that we can catch up sooN!

xo

Anonymous said...

Hey Leo,
Finally getting caught up on your adventures again... sounds like you've been busy! A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I'm sure you'll be glad to know you've missed a ton of snow so far, we've had several blizzards and as much as 20 cm of snow fall in a matter of hours.

Have an awesome time in the amazon, I'm quite envious. We went into the rainforest in Costa Rica and I could've stayed there for the whole trip... just so much to take in, and amazing things to see.

Miss you, I hope you're doing well and staying safe... don't drink the water!

Love Jane and David

Tse Leng 詩鴒 said...

Olá Sir! :)

Tudu bem?

I don't know if you remember me, I wasn't in any of your classes, but I did go trekking quite a few times :) Tse Leng here!

I knew you were going to Brasil, but didn't know you were going to Minas Gerais! I'm currently on a year long exchange program in Taiwan, but they were going to send me to Minas Gerais before Taiwan!

It's great to hear of all your adventures and travels! I have quite a few brasilian friends here in Taiwan who are on exchange like me..from Florianópolis, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo etc.. they've told me so much about Brasil, I'm already starting to save up money to visit them there soon! :D starting to pick up a bit of Portuguese and Spanish from them as well XP

Keep posting and updating us with your exciting tales! Have a great and safe trip! All the best!

Leon said...

Hey Everyone!

Ranee: I did live to tell the tale...didn't even really have any close calls. I'm worried that I'm getting old, or cautious, or worse...I've got a real phobia of becoming boring

Thanks Kathy! We really do need to catch up sometime soon.

Jane and Dave: I've heard great things about Costa Rica from various people; would love to spend some time there!! And...I don't really wanna tell you this (but we both know that it's in my nature to do so), but I (along with many others) did get sick on the boat on the amazon river. Now I'm not sure if it was the water or the food... (insert sheepish look here)

Tse Ling (Of course I remember you!): tudo pela ordem!! Espero que tudo está ótimo com você! Really nice to hear from you. Love the title of your blog!